Happy New Year, Mount Vernon!
As a School, we accomplished so much in 2021. We reunited. We graduated 82 seniors, sending them off to Stanford University, Harvard, University of Georgia, Georgia Tech, Barnard College, Arizona State, University of British Columbia, and more. Mount Vernon students explored their curiosities, played together, were creative, celebrated their unique identities, honored unsung heroes, and smiled everyday, even if it was behind a mask.
Now, we look forward to 2022. There are so many exciting things to come as we continue to celebrate MV at 50. Check out each Division’s Top 5 of 2022 below to see what’s to come at The Vern.
- The Opening of the Preschool Atelier on Lower Campus – This space will give our youngest Mustangs a creative space to explore, experiment, and express themselves.
- Resuming tie-up with the University of Georgia Pollinators Project for Extended Play Programs – With the help of friends at UGA, pollinator-friendly plants are incorporated into the Pocket Garden on The Frontier, teaching students the importance of pollinators.
- Upcoming Expeditions – In 2022, Preschool students will have the chance to explore the community and visit places nearby like the Sandy Springs Library. They will also be visited on campus by Police Cars and Fire Trucks.
- Mystery Readers – Last semester brought Mystery Readers back into the classrooms, and the Preschool is excited to continue allowing parents to read to their child’s class
- The Preschool End-of-Year Learning Showcase – A time of celebration at the end of each school year, to see what has been accomplished and learned.
- PlayMaker – This school year saw the return of PlayMaker, and we can’t wait for our students to continue in these after-school classes, exploring their curiosities, in 2022.
- Grade 5 Leadership – Our leaders of the Lower School. Grade 5 students have so many opportunities to influence the Lower Campus and experience personal growth throughout their last year in the Lower School. Additionally, the Kindness Crew was created in the Fall and we can’t wait to see how kindness continues to spread in 2022.
- Mustang Rally – A Mount Vernon favorite. An all-day, all-community celebration of FUN and togetherness!
- Grade-Level Projects – Our students work so well together through project based learning at the School. From creating playgrounds to building sound booths, we can’t wait to see what they accomplish this semester.
- New Mustang Babies Being Born – across our Division, so many of our teachers are expecting or have recently welcomed new Mustangs into the World! We can’t wait to meet them. “Every good and perfect gift is from above.” James 1:17
- Going Yellow for Isla Walker on January 18 – MV Middle is excited to go yellow in January to support fellow Mustang, Isla, who was diagnosed with cancer in the fall, additionally they will show support by wearing #IslaStrong bracelets. Even apart, Mustangs are better together.
- Class Trips in March – This year students will once again be able to take class trips at the beginning of March. Middle School is looking forward to bonding as individual classes as they go on retreats, to Boston, and to Washington D.C.
- Spring Dance and Games in May – A highlight at the end of the year. A time of celebration for students as they have some well-earned fun together.
- Celebrating the last year in Middle School for Grade 8 – Each year before moving to a new division is special. Grade 8 students have been resilient during their time in MV Middle, a time unlike any other.
- Junior Prefect Game Day – In MS, we have a Junior Prefect system that mirrors the leadership of Prefects in Upper School. This year, the School’s Junior Prefects are planning a Game Day full of fun for their fellow Mustangs.
- Interim Term – Interim takes place the week before Spring Break, and allows Upper School students the opportunity to explore interests, integrate disciplines, expand their minds, and serve the public good. This year, students are looking forward to traveling to Iceland, Puerto Rico, Washington D.C., the Galapagos Islands, Germany, Denver, London, and more.
- Theatre Trip to Scotland – the MV Allstars are going to Scotland! Sixteen US theatre students, one alumni, and three MV Studios teammates have been selected to represent the School in the largest theatre festival in the World.
- Alpha & Omega – One of the best parts of Mustang Rally is Alpha & Omega, seeing our youngest Mustangs and our oldest Mustangs together to close out the parade of classes, kicking off the event.
- Year of Impact Completion – This year, the School has the BIG goal of completing 50,000 collective service hours through Year of Impact. We can’t wait to see what we can accomplish, together. Don’t forget to log your hours!
- Graduation – This year, Mount Vernon will graduate its largest class with 117 seniors! We can’t wait to celebrate them and announce where they will all be heading next year. Be sure to follow along with #mvpins for live updates on college acceptances and decisions.
We can’t wait to see where 2022 takes us. What are you most looking forward to in this new year?!