The Sandy Springs Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution have selected Abby Watkins (Class of 2016) as this year’s DAR recipient. For the second year in a row, a Mount Vernon student was chosen from a prestigious group local students. Last year’s recipient was Hannah Zenas, who is currently a freshman at the University of Georgia.
To compete, Abby wrote two essays; one completed in a 2-hour timed setting, focusing on ‘our American rights and freedoms’ and which one she thinks should be celebrated. The other essay focused on her experience as an engaged citizen leader and servant in the community.
Abby shares, “There are many different definitions of what it means to be a good citizen, but perhaps my favorite was stated by Andrew Jackson: ‘Every good citizen makes his country’s honor his own, and cherishes it not only as precious but as sacred. He is willing to risk his life in its defense and its conscious that he gains protection while he gives it.’ I believe this quote incorporates the four main qualities of a DAR Good Citizen: Dependability, Service, Leadership, and Patriotism.
A variety of extracurricular activities and interests have captured Abby’s attention throughout high school. Her list is long.
- National Charity League (9-11)
- Varsity Softball (9-12)
- Varsity Basketball (9-12)
- Varsity Men’s Baseball Manager (11-12)
- Varsity Softball All Region Offensive Player (9)
- Varsity Softball All Region Player (11)
- Captain of Varsity Basketball (12)
- Student Life and Spirit Prefect Committee (11-12)
- Ambassador Prefect Core Committee (9, 11)
- Business and Entrepreneurship Club (11-12)
- Co-President of the Fellowship Christian Athletes Club (10-12)
- Stampede Spirit Club (11-12)
- Head of School Award for a GPA of 4.0 or higher every semester in high school (9-12)
- Invited to the National Society of High School Scholars (11)
- Junior National Honors Society (9-10)
- National Honors Society (11-12)
- National Latin Exam Top Ten Percentile (9)
- Homecoming Court every year of high school (9-12)
- Special Interest in Exercise Science and Kinesiology (9-12)
Impressed with Abby’s academic credentials and extracurricular involvement, the judges for the Sandy Springs chapter contest have placed her in the running to represent our District in the state competition.
We look forward to welcoming representatives of the Sandy Springs DAR chapter when they visit Mount Vernon to present Abby with her award in January.
So proud of you, Abby! #IMAMUSTANG